Smithsonian magazine iPad app
Get the full content of
plus exclusive extras on
our iPad edition
- Enjoy interactive features, videos, slideshows and more
- Watch history come alive, dig into ancient Egyptian archaeological field research
- Catch up on the latest scientific discover and challenge yourself with interactive info-graphics
- Travel the world viewing our exclusive slideshow and video stories from Petra to Prague and discover the world's cultural treasures
- See even more of Smithsonian's award-winning photography
About the Smithsonian iPad App
What is included?
Your print subscription to Smithsonian magazine includes FREE access to our digital edition during your membership term.
How do I get started?
Download the Smithsonian magazine app from the Apple App Store.
Is Smithsonian Digital available to all members?
It is currently available to print members only.
If you bought a digital membership through Amazon or Barnes & Noble, it is not currently available.
About the Smithsonian Digital Edition
What is included in the Smithsonian Digital Edition?
The Smithsonian Digital Edition includes all the editorial content and photos from the current print issue of Smithsonian magazine plus video, audio and expandable features.
How do I purchase the Smithsonian Digital Edition?
Your print subscription to Smithsonian includes FREE access to our digital edition during your National Associate membership term.
Can I get Smithsonian Digital Edition only?
Yes, you can buy the digital edition without receiving the print edition by downloading the Smithsonian magazine app from the app store for your tablet device and following the subscription instructions inside the app.
Where can I read the Smithsonian Digital Edition?
The Smithsonian Digital Edition is currently only available on the iPad, but we expect to add more tablet devices soon.
Can I activate my print subscription to read on my Nook or Kindle?
Sorry, at this time Nook and Kindle access is not included in your print subscription. We offer Nook versions for Smithsonian for purchase directly from Barnes & Noble, and Kindle versions for purchase directly from Amazon.
Will the app run on my smartphone?
No, our current Digital Edition is designed for the larger screen on tablet devices.
Are old issues included in my subscription?
You will have access to any issue you paid for, if it is available digitally. Available digital issues start with the December 2011 issue.
Do digital editions expire?
No, once you download an issue as part of your subscription or purchase, it's yours to keep.
How can I reduce digital edition storage space on my iPad?
Archiving magazine issues will free-up storage space on your tablet.
You can archive an issue by going to your Library where your Smithsonian Digital Editions are located. Simply touch "Archive" for each issue and follow the prompts.
Can I re-download digital issues that I've archived?
Yes, you can re-download any issues that you've archived from your tablet.
To re-download a previously purchased issue that has been archived, return to the Library, sign in, find the issue you'd like to re-download, and tap the "Download" button.
Guide for Current Print Subscribers
How do I add the Smithsonian Digital Edition to my existing print subscription?
If you're an existing member of Smithsonian, you can add the Digital Edition for free for the remainder of your print subscription contract.
To add the Digital Edition, follow the steps below:
2. After launching the application, tap on the "Tap Here for Access" button.
3. On the next screen, enter your current subscriber information - either your mailing address or the customer code located on your magazine mailing label.
Your account number appears on your magazine's mailing label. It is highlighted in yellow on the example below.
4. Once we find your account and you follow the prompts, including establishing an account password, you will see a "Thank You" page confirming your order.
5. Return to the Smithsonian application and tap on the button in the upper right hand corner that says "Sign In".
6. After signing-in, tap to your Library where you'll see the latest issue for download. Tap "Download" and the content will be downloaded directly to your iPad.
For additional help, please call customer service at 1-800-642-4037 or email customer service.