The Last Word
A quick questionnaire with Jason Moran
1. Three words someone else would use to describe me are idiosyncratic, serious, opinionated.
2. My greatest professional influence is Herbie Hancock.
3. My fondest memory is seeing a new piano when I returned home from school (3rd grade).
4. The last book I read was Get Down, by Asali Solomon.
5. If I could have dinner with anyone living or dead it would be Frederick Douglass.
6. Three things I can't live without are any music, my wife, Alicia, remarkable food (good or bad).
7. The most pressing issue facing the world is humanity.
8. The most important lesson I ever learned was "You can do what you want to do, no one can stop take your hands off of the piano”—extremely cheesy but extremely effective.
9. My advice for those just starting out in this profession is go forward.
10. My motto is: "Change."