Mamie's Purse

For an inaugural ball, a victim of war created an evening bag for the First Lady of a war hero

Smithsonian Magazine | Subscribe

"This is ridiculous," exclaimed a frustrated chief of security as the well-dressed crowd pushed and shoved to get a better view of the famous couple. "You’ve seen Presidents before."

"We’ve never seen one like this before," an eager woman responded.

The year was 1953. Under a waning moon, Dwight D. Eisenhower and his wife, Mamie, arrived at their first inaugural ball, the final event of one of the longest days in the history of Presidential inaugurations. Inside the National Guard Armory in Washington, D.C., blue and gray fabric draped all four walls, gold bunting with white stars bordered the ceiling and chandeliers wrapped in gold cast a soft light on gleaming floors.

The First Lady sparkled under the lights, dressed in a pale pink peau de soie gown studded with rhinestones and wearing matching gloves. Her dress caused a stir when the press glimpsed a photograph of her modeling it days before the ball. In her hand she carried a small, rounded silk pouch, the same pale pink as the dress. It was the most remarkable part of her outfit. With its overlay of pink lace reembroidered with pearls and rhinestones, and its double rhinestone closure, the bag was an unlikely testament to everything President Eisenhower had fought for.General Eisenhower’s role in the defeat of fascism in Europe eight years earlier had helped carry him to this moment. Mrs. Eisenhower exuded a unique brand of glamour tempered by a Midwestern practicality that many found irresistible. The couple represented a new era of possibility at a time when America’s role in the world was greatly expanding. The crowd cheered wildly at their arrival at the inaugural ball, and throughout the evening they couldn’t keep their eyes off of them, virtually ignoring the celebrity performers.

The pairing of First Lady and bag was poignant because the bag’s creator might not have survived the war had it not been for soldiers like General Eisenhower. "While he was trying to save Europe and the world, my family and I were trying to survive," Judith Leiber, the bag’s designer, now says. And both the new President and the designer had flourished in the war’s aftermath.

"Making the bag was a great honor, and I made a second inaugural bag for her when Eisenhower was reelected," Leiber says. At the time of Eisenhower’s first election, Leiber worked for the designer Nettie Rosenstein who, after calling upon her best artisans, gave the gown and bag to Mrs. Eisenhower. It would be ten years from Mamie Eisenhower’s first inaugural ball before Leiber began designing bags that bore her own name, but from then on almost no First Lady would be without one.

Founding her own company in 1963 marked a turning point in Leiber’s designs. Her more recent signature pieces are known as minaudières—small, beaded cases in whimsical shapes, such as polar bears, roses, pigs and watermelon slices.

Despite her success, Leiber did not exactly choose her career path. She was born Judith Peto in Budapest, where her father, Emil Peto, worked in a bank and later in the jewelry business. In 1939 she traveled to London and was accepted to King’s College where, at her parents’ urging, she planned to study chemistry. She went home to Budapest to visit her family before returning to England for her first semester. World War II broke out before the summer was over, putting an end to her studies.

Although Hungary was a reluctant ally of the Nazis, throughout much of the war it had one of the highest concentrations of Jews left in Europe. As the war progressed, professional employment became increasingly limited for Jews, artisan guilds being one of the few avenues left open to them. A vague interest in handbags and a strong eye for color prompted Judith Peto to apply to the handbag-makers guild in Budapest, the first woman to do so. She was accepted, and started out sweeping the floor and cooking the glue. She would complete all three stages of her guild training—apprentice, journeyman and master—before the war ground to a finish in May 1945.

In March 1944 a special unit of the German Army moved into Hungary to begin rounding up Jews living in rural areas and subjecting those in Budapest to increasing persecution. By July 1944, the Germans had deported to death camps 437,000 Hungarian Jews, primarily from outside the cities.


Comment on this Story

comments powered by Disqus