The Salem Historical Society
208 South Broadway Avenue,239 South Lundy Avenue, Salem, OH 44460 - United States
We are CLOSED SATURDAY 21, Museum Day will be on SUNDAY, 9/22/19 ONLY
Main entry for Meeting Room and gift shop in the lower level of Dale Shaffer Research Library at 239 South Lundy.
After the Society was formed in 1947, the Museum was opened in 1971. Since the first building, known as the Pearce House, three additional buildings have been added; Schell House, Freedom Hall and Dale Shaffer Research Library.
We specialize in all phases of Salem’s history with industrial, transportation, Underground Railroad, GAR/Civil War, Women’s Rights, entertainment and education.
There is plenty to see and appreciate when visiting the Salem Historical Society Museum. Our Quakertown Trolley has Underground Railroad and Ghost tours scheduled in the summer. Reservations and information available by calling 330-337-8514.
Salem was a major hub in the American Underground Railroad and was the headquarters for the Ohio American Anti-Slavery Society, later known as the Western Anti-Slavery Society that published The Anti-Slavery Bugle. These papers were printed in Salem and are available for research at the Salem Historical Society.
In April 1850, Salem hosted the first Women's Rights Convention in Ohio, the second such convention in the United States.
Over its history, Salem thrived on an industrial-based economy, advantageously located between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. For several decades, the largest corporations located in Salem included American Standard, Eljer, Mullins Manufacturing, Deming Pump, and Salem China.
Participation in Museum Day is open to any tax-exempt or governmental museum or cultural venue on a voluntary basis. Smithsonian magazine encourages museum visitation, but is not responsible for and does not endorse the content of the participating museums and cultural venues, and does not subsidize museums that participate.