The Lost City Museum
721 S. Moapa Valley Blvd, Overton, NV 89040 - United States
The Lost City Museum was built in 1935 by the National Park Service to exhibit artifacts that were being excavated from Pueblo Grande de Nevada. These Ancestral Puebloan sites were being threatened by the waters of Lake Mead as it backed up behind the newly built Hoover Dam. Eventually, when the lake was filled to capacity, about five miles of sites had been inundated or undercut by the water.
Permanent Exhibit: Daily Life of the Ancestral Puebloans
Permanent Exhibit: Southern Nevada Landscapes of Change
Permanent Exhibit: Minerals and Fossils
Permanent Exhibit: Uncovering the Past – Archaeology of the Lost City
Temporary Exhibit: Photographs of the Southern Paiute (1871-1873) by John K. Hillers
Permanent Exhibit: Southern Paiute Baskets from the Joseph F. and Kathryn A. Perkins Collection
Temporary Exhibit: Nevada 150
Permanent Exhibit: The Excavation of an Ancestral Pueblo House
Lost City – Ancient Pueblo Outpost (~20 min)
Preserving the Past (~20 min)
Reconstructed pit house
Historic farm equipment
Participation in Museum Day is open to any tax-exempt or governmental museum or cultural venue on a voluntary basis. Smithsonian magazine encourages museum visitation, but is not responsible for and does not endorse the content of the participating museums and cultural venues, and does not subsidize museums that participate.