Riversdale House Museum
4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale Park, MD 20737 - United States
A National Historic Landmark, Riversdale House Museum was constructed between 1801 and 1807 for Henri Stier, a Flemish aristocrat, and completed by his daughter, Rosalie, and her husband, George Calvert. Rosalie Calvert’s letters, supplemented by other archival records and archaeology, are used to provide modern-day visitors with a better understanding of life in early Federal America. The journal of Adam Francis Plummer, enslaved by the Calverts, provides a rare first-person account of the experiences of the enslaved individuals and families at Riversdale. Additional documentation discovered in recent years provides more information about the enslaved and free workers at Riversdale in the mid-19th century and is currently being utilized to add to the narrative and interpretation at the site.
The historic site includes seven acres of greenspace and interpretive signage, an historic kitchen garden and orchard, open hearth kitchen, and Visitor Center.
Riversdale House Museum is owned and operated by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, Department of Parks and Recreation. The Riversdale Historical Society, a 501(c)3, supports the museum.
Enjoy a one-hour guided tour of the historic house. Tours will depart from the Visitor Center (the small gray building facing the side road: 6005 48th Avenue) at 11am, 12:30pm, and 2 pm. Self-guided exterior tour booklets will be available for guests.
Please note capacity limits may be implemented to adhere to safety protocols.
There is ample free parking in the Visitor Center lot.
Participation in Museum Day is open to any tax-exempt or governmental museum or cultural venue on a voluntary basis. Smithsonian magazine encourages museum visitation, but is not responsible for and does not endorse the content of the participating museums and cultural venues, and does not subsidize museums that participate.