Plymouth Historical Museum
155 S. Main Street, Plymouth, MI 48170 - United States
The Friends of the Plymouth Historical Museum (a.k.a. Plymouth Historical Society) was organized in 1948 with 52 original members. The Plymouth Historical Museum opened its doors to the public on 14 February 1976; an addition was completed in 2001. The Museum is housed in a beautiful, 26,000-square-foot building, donated to the Society by Miss Margaret Dunning in memory of her parents.
"Let Freedom Ring" special exhibit
-Displays depicting the 1970s
-Vignettes of Plymouth in the 1970s
Weldon Petz Abraham Lincoln Exhibit
-Artifacts from Lincoln's youth
-Rare book belonging to Lincoln as a boy
-Rare family genealogy and photographs
-Handwritten legal documents and law books
-Life mask of Lincoln made in 1860
-Civil War art
-Lock of Lincoln's hair
-Artifacts from the Lincoln assassination
-Lincoln & Hamlin presidential campaign banner that hung on the Starkweather home in Plymouth in 1860
-Lincoln archives containing more than 1,200 books, photographs, and clip files
A Timeline of Plymouth
Take a walk through time. The newest addition to the Plymouth Historical Museum is a series of displays of America’s history as witnessed by the Plymouth community, from days when native tribes settled in the area to modern times. The displays encompass the agricultural nature of the region, the growth of the cities, wars, industrialization, and finally the electronic age.
The Plymouth Historical Museum's Main Street features a late 19th-century Victorian recreation of Main Street, tracing the growth of a small town from the railroad depot to the general store.
Participation in Museum Day is open to any tax-exempt or governmental museum or cultural venue on a voluntary basis. Smithsonian magazine encourages museum visitation, but is not responsible for and does not endorse the content of the participating museums and cultural venues, and does not subsidize museums that participate.