143 Saint George Street, Saint Augustine, FL 32084 - United States
The Peña-Peck House was constructed circa 1750 of native coquina stone as the residence of Juan Estevan de Peña, Spanish Royal Treasurer of St. Augustine, 1740 to 1763. From 1774-1785 it was the home of Gov. Patrick Tonyn, and the last official seat of the British Government in North America south of Canada after the Revolutionary War. The House was purchased by Dr. Seth Peck, who added a second story, in 1837, and it was left to the City of St. Augustine by his last survivor, granddaughter Anna Gardner Burt, in 1931.
Since then the Peña-Peck House has been managed and exhibited by the Woman’s Exchange of St. Augustine, a nonprofit organization whose primary mission is to help artisans achieve economic stability though the sale of their hand-crafted merchandise in The Woman’s Exchange shop, located within the building. We also have a scholarship fund that gives scholarships to women over the age of 30 who are returning to college. Over the past 12 years, we have awarded over $125,000 in scholarships to local women.
The History of the Peña-Peck House and the Woman’s Exchange of St. Augustine, told in 8 panels, with a display of artifacts from an 1968 archaeological dig on the property.
Old coquina kitchen staged to represent an 1840′s kitchen.
Antiques and art work of the Peck Family, including oil paintings by renowned artists of Ponce de Leon Hotel’s Art Colony - Felix DeCrano and William Staples Drown.
Participation in Museum Day is open to any tax-exempt or governmental museum or cultural venue on a voluntary basis. Smithsonian magazine encourages museum visitation, but is not responsible for and does not endorse the content of the participating museums and cultural venues, and does not subsidize museums that participate.