Lorain County History Center
284 Washington Avenue, Elyria, OH 44035 - United States
The home of the Lorain County History Center is the Starr House, built by Elyria businessman Horace C. Starr. Horace and his brother, George, worked in the grocery department of Baldwin & Co. The brothers developed a partnership with owner that eventually resulted in a takeover of the business and the creation of Starr Bros. & Co. dry goods.
It was at this time of prosperity that the brothers built residences on Washington Avenue in Elyria. The houses were nearly identical Italianate frame properties across from each other. Horace and his family moved into their home in 1857. The Starrs lived in the house until 1876. Over the decades the property was owned by different families until it was purchased by the adjacent church. Elyria Baptist Church called it Hebron House and used it for classroom and meeting space. The interiors were heavily altered.
By the early 2000s, the house was threatened with demolition. The Lorain County Historical Society stepped in to save the historic structure. The Society took control of the property and organized a project to implement its restoration and rehabilitation. The Starr House is now the Lorain County History Center, open to the public. It contains exhibit galleries, a research library, the offices of the historical society, and a gift shop.
Participation in Museum Day is open to any tax-exempt or governmental museum or cultural venue on a voluntary basis. Smithsonian magazine encourages museum visitation, but is not responsible for and does not endorse the content of the participating museums and cultural venues, and does not subsidize museums that participate.