John Marshall House
818 E. Marshall St., Richmond, VA 23219 - United States
John Marshall is best known as the “Great Chief Justice” for his role in creating the modern Supreme Court. He served from 1801 until 1835 and his influential decisions, such as Marbury v. Madison, helped shape the principle of judicial review. With the largest collection of original Marshall family pieces, guided tours of his home offer an in-depth look at the formation of American government through the lens of the federal judiciary.
Marshall built his home in Richmond’s historic Court End neighborhood in 1790 and lived there for forty-five years until his death. It is a Federal-style brick building that originally included several outbuildings, including his law office.
The home remained in the Marshall family until the Harvie sisters sold the land to the City of Richmond in 1907. When the City announced plans to demolish the house to build a high school, the leadership of Preservation Virginia protested. In 1911, the house was placed in the care of Preservation Virginia to be restored and opened to the public. The building was officially transferred to our in ownership in 2006.
This Museum Day we will be offering tours exploring John Marshall's set of three Supreme Court decisions that affirmed the legal and political standing of Indian nations in the United States. The cases resulted in what is known as the Trail of Tears, a series of forced relocations of Native American tribes from their homelands in the Southeastern United States to Oklahoma.
Participation in Museum Day is open to any tax-exempt or governmental museum or cultural venue on a voluntary basis. Smithsonian magazine encourages museum visitation, but is not responsible for and does not endorse the content of the participating museums and cultural venues, and does not subsidize museums that participate.