North Road near Weeden Lane, Jamestown, RI 02835 - United States
The old Jamestown windmill, built in 1787, stands high on Windmill Hill in the center of Conanicut Island at the entrance to Narragansett Bay. Known as a smock mill, it is a three-story octagonal structure with a domed cap, or bonnet, which can be turned. The bonnet carries the wind shaft and the sails, or sweeps. For 109 years, until 1896, the mill ground feed for animals and corn meal for human consumption.
The visitor can tour all three levels of the mill. Signs and pictures explain the mill’s mechanism and operation. Displays on the second level, originally used for storage, tell the history of the mill.
Participation in Museum Day is open to any tax-exempt or governmental museum or cultural venue on a voluntary basis. Smithsonian magazine encourages museum visitation, but is not responsible for and does not endorse the content of the participating museums and cultural venues, and does not subsidize museums that participate.