Clearwater County Historical Society - The History Center
264 First Street W, Shevlin , MN 56676 - United States
Museum will be open Saturday April, 4th from 10:00- 2:00
The museum is located in the former Shevlin School, a two-story brick structure built in 1911. The school closed in 1991 and the historical society’s “History Center” opened in 1996. The grounds also include several historic buildings: the first log school built in the county in the late 1880s, a school built in 1936 by the local WPA crew, the Ebro Depot (a small transportable depot- the size of a box car), a replica Church, a gas stations and The Halvorson log house (a two story log cabin from 1904). Two additional buildings on site house larger tools, machinery and miscellany. Exhibits are changed on a 12 to 18 month schedule, with different themes and topics covered each year.
The museum also has a photo collection of over 18,000 prints, some cemetery records, an extensive obituary file and most newspapers from the county (on microfilm) dating back to 1899. Research assistance is free and donations are cheerfully accepted.
Exhibits on Display include
1 Room and 3 R's: Rural Schools in Clearwater County. Featuring Northern Clearwater County
Smithsonian Poster Exhibit "Journey Stories"
Participation in Museum Day is open to any tax-exempt or governmental museum or cultural venue on a voluntary basis. Smithsonian magazine encourages museum visitation, but is not responsible for and does not endorse the content of the participating museums and cultural venues, and does not subsidize museums that participate.