1020 O Street, Sacramento, CA 95814 - United States
The California Museum celebrates the Golden State’s history, arts, diversity and unique influence on the world. Established in 1998, the Museum is home to the official California Hall of Fame, Unity Center and more exhibitions inspiring visitors to make their mark on history.
Located at 1020 O Street in the March Fong Eu Secretary of State complex, galleries are open Thursday-Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and closed Monday-Wednesday, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day. General admission is $7-10. Learn more or get tickets at https://www.californiamuseum.org.
• California Hall of Fame
• California Indians: The First People
• California Missions: A Journey Along the El Camino Real
• Constitution Wall
• Health Happens Here
• Gold Mountain: Chinese Californian Stories
• Uprooted! Japanese Americans During WWII
• Unity Center at California Museum
• Women Inspire: California Women Changing Our World
EXPERIENCE AMERICA ACTIVITIES:
Registrants are also invited to participate in the California Museum’s #ExperienceAmerica festivities, celebrating the return to visiting the nation’s history, arts and culture institutions from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Highlights include:
• Self-guided tours of “Gambatte! Legacy of an Enduring Spirit” on view through Nov. 7, 2021.
• Tours of “Uprooted! Japanese Americans During WWII” by Japanese American docents sharing their or their family members' experiences of life behind barbed wire in wartime California.
• Crafts including making origami “orizuru” (folded crane) and “senbazuru” (garland of a thousand cranes).
• Scavenger hunt exploring how people came to California and stayed to shape the modern state appropriate in multiple exhibitions for ages five and up.
** Advance registration is required on the Smithsonian and the California Museum websites. To attend, register for a free pass valid on admission for two from Smithsonian Magazine Museum Day, then reserve a timed ticket for entry to the California Museum at https://www.californiamuseum.org/smd-2021. Each visitor must register for their own timed ticket at a specific time and arrive within their 30-minute slot, limited to a maximum of 20 visitors every 30 minutes. For more information on visitor protocols or to plan a visit to the California Museum during Smithsonian Magazine Museum Day, please visit https://www.californiamuseum.org/covid-19. **
Participation in Museum Day is open to any tax-exempt or governmental museum or cultural venue on a voluntary basis. Smithsonian magazine encourages museum visitation, but is not responsible for and does not endorse the content of the participating museums and cultural venues, and does not subsidize museums that participate.