We are thrilled that your venue is participating in Museum Day on Saturday, September 21, 2019. Participating museums can expect to receive their promotional packets by mid-September. Please check back soon for additional materials.
Museum Day Logos
Social Media Logo (1200x630) JPG
Sized for Facebook and Twitter posts, includes date. If your museum chooses to create a Facebook event, invite @MuseumDay to co-host so they appear on our Facebook Event's page. Title the event "Smithsonian Magazine Museum Day". Let us know if you have any questions regarding social promotion.
Materials coming soon.
Year of Music
Museum Day goes beyond getting visitors through museum doors—it acts as a springboard to empower and help advance the hopes and ambitions of the public. This year, we have chosen to theme the event around the Smithsonian Year of Music.
Museum Programming Ideas:
- Host a lecture or panel discussion about music or sound such as “The Sounds of Science or The Science of Sound.” Topics could range from Beethoven to jazz to the harmony of the spheres, Mariachi, Azerbaijani Mugam, or songs of the humpback whales
- Screen a film in which music plays a key role. You could even have a live band play the score to a film or have a “sing-along”
- Create a scavenger hunt of pieces in your collection that showcase music or sound
- Have a live music performance by an ensemble or a DJ
- Invite a local school group to perform at your venue
- Invite local musicians to sound a piece from your collection—what would that painting/sculpture/piece of furniture/planet/animal sound like if it could make noise or play music?
- Invite a local musician to create a piece of music inspired by his or her favorite work in your museum’s collection
- Bring out a music/sound related object from your collection that isn’t currently on view for Museum Day on September 21, 2019