Join us for America's Annual Celebration of Boundless Curiosity
Saturday, September 21, 2019
Museum Day brings together museums, zoos & cultural centers from all 50 states to offer free admission to all Museum Day ticket holders. Museum Day represents a national commitment to access, equality and inclusion.
Museum Day goes beyond getting visitors through museum doors—it acts as a springboard to empower and help advance the hopes and ambitions of the public, particularly school-aged children and those in underrepresented communities.
This year, Museum Day will showcase Women Making History: Trailblazers in the arts, sciences, innovation & culture.
Tickets will be available for the public to download beginning August 15th, 2018.
Women Making History Programming Ideas:
- #WomenMakingHistory: Join Smithsonian's social media campaign and ask museum-goers to share female trailblazers in the arts, sciences, innovation & culture that they discover at your museum. #MuseumDay #WomenMakingHistory
- Breaking Down Barriers: Host a career panel featuring local women working in male-dominated fields.
- #5WomenArtists: Challenge guests to respond to the National Museum of Women in the Art’s social media campaign asking, “Can you name five women artists?” Provide sticky notes for guests to write the names of 5 women they learned about on their visit. Offer an area for guests to stick their note and celebrate these women.
- The Big Picture: Empower guests to look at the big picture; create a photo booth that frames men and women as equals; by stepping into the big picture, guests make a step toward inclusion.
- Rewriting History: Host a panel discussion on the impacts of how we’ve decided to represent history and the role museums are taking to be more inclusive. Consider pulling out specific items in your collections created and curated by women to be put on special display.
- Scavenger Hunt: Create a scavenger hunt highlighting objects created and curated by women.
- Women in STEM: Focus on women making contributions in the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.