When Beuchert’s Saloon, a farm-to-table restaurant and bar in D.C.'s Eastern Market neighborhood, began renovating its space, contractors found a hidden sliding door—which was covering hundreds of empty Prohibition-era liqueur bottles. The original Beuchert’s Saloon opened in 1880, under the ownership of German businessman and Capitol Hill local John Ignatius Beuchert. The saloon was converted during Prohibition into a sewing shop, but, as the discovery of the bottles shows, it probably never lost its boozy-appeal.
Today, eaters hit up Beuchert's Saloon for its mix of locally-sourced American fare and specialty cocktails—they even have prosecco on tap. The restaurant's interior pays homage to its old-timey roots, with decor inspired by post-Prohibition American dining saloons as well as Paris in the 1920s. Expect hanging chandeliers, exposed brick and tiny dark-wood tables dotting the long, narrow space.