arrow left arrow right
Tulips
Sakura
Chandelier
Peaceful
A sky so blue
The denouement !!
Peek-A-Boo
The Merced River in Yosemite National Park at Sunset
A view of San Francisco from a peep hole window on Alcatraz.
Arapaima Fish Under Water in an Acquarium
Big Sheep Horn
Point Pinos Lighthouse
Prairie cabin pays silent tribute to the tenacity of the pioneer spirit.
The World is your frame.. Capture all you can see
Victoria row outdoor dining
Plant peaking through the snow in Yellowstone National Park
Calm Waters
Snails after a rain in the Bahamas
Madison River
Snowflake
Bear in Yellowstone National Park
Mother and daughter elephant taking an afternoon stroll.
Camping under the Moon
13th Annual Smithsonian.com Photo Contest
Point Pinos Lighthouse

In 1602 the Viceroy of New Spain, the Conde de Monterey, delegated Sebastian Viscaino, mariner and merchant, to explore the western shore of California. Viscaino was to prepare a detailed map of his findings, and to look for a harbor-haven for the Manila galleons which brought the elegant goods from the Philippines to the Pacific shores. Viscaino landed in Monterey that year and named the harbor after the Count of Monterey. In 1769 Spaniard, Gaspar de Portola was sent north and in 1770 located Monterey Harbor and the ultimate City of Monterey was founded. California remained under Spanish control with Monterey as its capital until 1822, when Mexico added California to its empire. After war broke out between the United States and Mexico in 1846, Commodore Sloat, on landing in Monterey, claimed California for the Union. Thus, the Marina, Old Fisherman's Wharf and Municipal Wharf II lie in some of the most historic waters in California. In 1845 Thomas Larkin constructed a wharf at Monterey for regular passenger and freight service, with ships arriving four times weekly. Growth of the sardine industry and the need to keep the Wharf in betterrepair prompted the City Council to assume ownership of the pier in 1913. (At some time during this period it became known as "Fisherman's Wharf") Early 1900's By 1916 the City had purchased the Wharf and immediately began to expand the Wharf, providing more services to the fishing fleet and to the freightbusiness. By 1920 the Wharf

TAGS: Beach, California, Green, Lighthouse, United States

photographer avatar
East Alton, Illinois, United States of America
Member since 2015
Photo Information
Copyright:
© Marla Sanders.
All rights reserved.
Image Source: digital
Date Taken: 03.2015
Total Views: 33
Filed Under: Travel
Camera Information
Date Uploaded: July 8, 2015, 1:38 a.m.
Camera Make:
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SX60 HS
Focal Length: 5.4mm
Shutter Speed: 1/1000
Aperture: f5.6
ISO: ISO160
Report This
SMITHSONIAN.COM COLLECTIONS
PHOTO LOCATION Monterey, California, United States of America