Swamp Ghosts
In Papua New Guinea, a journalist investigates the controversy over a World War II bomber
- By John Darnton
- Smithsonian magazine, October 2007, Subscribe
(Page 4 of 4)
If, as seems likely, Hagen does succeed in exporting the Swamp Ghost, it's not clear what will happen to it. His original plan was to restore it and fly it himself, but this would be costly. He has been talking with the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson, Arizona, and would like to lease it to that institution for display if he can take it up for a spin every so often. The museum is dubious, to say the least, about such an arrangement. This model of B-17 is relatively rare, the only one equipped with a remotely operated "belly turret." (The gunner lay on the floor and used a periscope to fire the machine gun.) Meanwhile, as the lawyers and politicians argue its fate, the Swamp Ghost remains crated in Lae. Every other week or so, a new rumor emerges that it's been smuggled out of the country.
Justin Taylan, whom Hagen accuses of fanning the flames of controversy, says he's devastated that the plane was removed from the swamp. He maintains that it had achieved an "equilibrium" there that would have more or less preserved it for years.
Some months back, he chartered a boat to grab a glimpse of it on the docks. "It was sad," he said, recalling the sight of the fuselage without wings or tail. "It was like seeing a classical statue missing its arms and legs." But he took consolation in one thing: "It's a ghost, and its spirit seems only to have grown."
The only people who seem totally uninterested in the plane's future are the three surviving crew members. "After so many years and so much discussion, I've got sick and tired of talking about it," said George Munroe. "A lot of people got taken with that plane, which baffles me. I'm just not very interested. To me, it's just trivia. We certainly weren't that heroic. None of us saved a maiden in a burning building."
A week after returning from PNG, I encountered a ghost of my own. I came across the name of the Swamp Ghost's pilot, Fred Eaton, who died in March 1994. It had been written on June 9, 1942, in a notebook of my father's that my family kept for more than six decades. He must have run across Eaton at one of the aerodromes where he went interviewing pilots looking for human-interest stories to send to the Times. His handwriting was slanted and, from the looks of it, hurried. After the pilot's name he wrote simply: "brought ship down into breast high water. 2 days cutting way thru high grass." Nothing else. My father apparently moved on to interview others. What a story he missed.
John Darnton was a foreign correspondent and editor at the New York Times for 39 years. He has also written four novels.
Single Page « Previous 1 2 3 4
Subscribe now for more of Smithsonian's coverage on history, science and nature.









Comments (26)
+ View All Comments
Hi Claire Dae, how do I find your email address? I'd really like to see photos of it if you have any. I love old planes! (:
Thanks
Posted by Tim Supramaniam on January 27,2012 | 01:50 PM
Hi,I am a 24yr old Papua New Guinean female and am interested in war relics.. Lately,my mum,my aunty and i have been taking pictures of an American war aircraft(P-26) believed to be shot by the Japanese and have landed in the jungles of my native village of Okapa,Eastern Highlands.It took us a day to reach the plane.Please email me if you're intrested in learning more about the still missing war plane.
Cheers,
Claire Dae
Lae,Morobe Province
Papua New Guinea.
Posted by Claire Dae on October 31,2011 | 12:17 AM
Check out my blog. I am covering the entire series and also throwing in some fun facts.
http://swamp-people.blogspot.com
Posted by Mrs. Walker on October 20,2010 | 01:28 AM
A well researched and documented story although I would not have expeceted less from the Smithsonian and Mr Darnton. The B-17E played a significant role in the earliest history of the 92nd Bomb Group (8th Air Force). The first 8th AF organization in Europe was the 97th Bomb Group.They had the E Bird. When the 92nd arrived in August 1942 they were equipped with the B-17F. Bureaucratic heads got together and ordered that the 92nd and 97th exchange aircraft; that the 97th would initiate the daylight bombing campaign; and that the 92nd esatblish and run the Combat Crew Replacement Center (CCRC). Needless to say there was gnashing of teeth and interesting communications between Headquarters and various Group Commanders. In the annals of the 92nd and well hidden is the term "The Rape of the 92nd" which describes this exchange of aircraft. The 92nd finally went on operations on May 14,1943 with Ship uards at Kiel the target. The 92nd led the last raid of the 8th on April 25, 1945; has never been off operations and today is the 92nd Air Refueling Wing, Fairchild AFB, WA
Posted by Irv Baum on August 13,2010 | 10:28 PM
If anybody can do justice to the story of the SWAMP GHOST and its crew, it is the restoration people at the PIMA AIR & SPACE MUSEUM in Tucson Arizona. I see their miracles constantly as a docent in that wonderful museum.
Jim Mulligan
Posted by Jim Mulligan on June 20,2010 | 12:32 AM
I was fascinated reading these accounts. I was too young to understand what was really happening at the time.
I believe our children and grandchildren need to see these historical planes, preserved or restored. I would like to read Mr. Cumes book, "Haverleigh".
I was fortunate to see Paul Allen's restored planes at Paine Field, Everett, WA and watch two of them fly! A real thrill.
Bette Hill, WA
Posted by Bette Hill on September 11,2009 | 10:21 AM
I was fascinated reading these accounts. I was too young to understand what was really happening at the time.
I believe our children and grandchildren need to see these historical planes, preserved or restored. I would like to read Mr. Cumes book, "Haverleigh".
I was fortunate to see Paul Allen's restored planes at Paine Field, Everett, WA and watch two of them fly! A real thrill.
Bette Hill, WA
Posted by Bette Hill on September 11,2009 | 10:21 AM
All these stories bring back memories. Aged 19, I disembarked at Port Moresby on 6 June 1942 from the Taroona to join what was then called "New Guinea Force." Later it became 1 Aust Corps. My disembarkation was just six weeks before the Japs landed at Buna/Gona and pushed through to Kokoda against the courageous opposition of no more than a hundred or so officers and men of the Australian 39th Battalion. The Japs reached Iorabaiwa - about thirty miles from Moresby - before Tokyo acknowledged that they were beaten and the Emperor himself signed the order to withdraw. When they did, with the Australians in hot pursuit, it marked the end of the invasion threat to Australia; and, together with the Australian victory at Milne Bay in August/September 1942, it also marked the limit to the Japanese thrust south. From that point on, the only outcome kof the Pacific War had to be victory for the Allies and the surrender of Japan. I wrote a novel - "Haverleigh" - especially encompassing these Papua/New Guinea campaigns in 1942 - and afterwards. It has done well and is still available on Amazon. Please tell me what you think of it if you get around to reading it.
Posted by James Cumes on February 21,2009 | 05:12 AM
Kudos to Fred Hagen and all those involved in the recovery process. I have been following this story for the past few years and am elated to hear she is coming home. (probraly home by now) Can't wait to hear the next chapter.
Posted by Tori Miller on December 24,2008 | 05:13 PM
The story of the Swamp Ghost is great, I have done a lot of research on WW2 and to read the accounts of the crew of this old Warbird it is brilliant I sincerely hope there is a happy ending for this once gracefull B-17 Dave from England
Posted by Dave Halligan on December 6,2008 | 03:25 PM
In 1944 I was stationed on Biak Island (Beroke Airstrip)and a B-24 Air Group was stationed I believe at Mokmer Air Strip. Just before the war ended there was a huge field covered with hundred of B-24's parked wingtip to wingtip I have often wondered what every happened to all of those planes that were never used in combat. If anyone was stationed at Biak on northern tip of New Guinea I would like to hear from you. I have really enjoyed reading about the Swamp Ghost. Ben Robertson email: bculler@bellsouth.net
Posted by Ben Robertson on November 8,2008 | 11:21 PM
i was there with hq co,155 inf reg,31st div leave it there at its orig site. will party looking for info on parent in 31st div contact me happy veterans day !
Posted by elmer [herb] hoff on November 7,2008 | 03:21 PM
I would like to correct some misinformation that have appeared since the PNG National Museum decided to allow the Swamp ghost out of the country.Firstly,let me introduce myself,my name is Soroi Marepo Eoe. I have worked in the PNG national Muesum for the last 30 years(May, 1978- June, 2005)after I graduated with degree in Social Anthropology. I became the first national to become the Curator of Anthropology in 1985 and subsequently its Director for 20 years ( 1985 - 2005). I hope my coming out of the closet will clear grey areas in this debate. I am throughly breed museum profissional and I have never comprised when it came to laws which protect the heritage or the specimen. Sad as it may look the decission to allow Swamp Ghost out of PNG was the only option available to my management and the Board given all the factors which rendered the aircraft in a very risky situation. The risks range from PNG governments' failure in not providing adquate budgetry support in protecting and restoring heritage objects over the years to increased activities of "Scrap Metal industry" which was directly responsible for scavaging and destorying many war relices which were not touched by either unscuplus dealers or climatic factors.In my honest view both under PNG heritage laws as well as under International the Covention in particular 1970 UNESCO convention PNG government has failed and continue to fail its legal and moral obligations. The spirit of this convention is clear," every country whether it is party to this covention or member of UNESCO has moral, legal and political duty to protect this heritage for its citizen and for Mankind.
Posted by Soroi Marepo Eoe on October 26,2008 | 09:53 PM
I agree with Mr. Hoover. The plane was being progressively stripped. The same thing happens to crash sites in the U.S. - there is a B-17C in a national forest in California and people even trucked out the engines. If you look at what PNG has done it's all just wreckage on display; in some cases shot with paint but with corrosion underneath. Leaving it to slowly disintegrate in a swamp is no option other than to assuage the national pride of the PNG people. If necessary. so be it but far better to do professional conservation and restoration, with display in a climate-controlled museum, on as many of those aircraft as possible. Japanese scrap merchants carted out tons of planes for their aluminum in the 50's and 60's and the Papuans never said a word until long after the easy ones - the Tonys, Oscars, etc., were almost all gone. Incidentally I am from Fort Worth and this is a 7th Bomb Wing aircraft. 7th Bomb Wing finished up flying B-52s here in my city.
Posted by Griffin Murphey DDS on October 25,2008 | 08:13 AM
+ View All Comments