Into the Breach
David Douglas Duncan's Life photographs captured the courage and anguish of marines in Korea, bringing home the gravity of war
- By Terence Monmaney
- Smithsonian magazine, May 2003, Subscribe
In hilly terrain near Pusan, South Korea, Capt. F. I. "Ike" Fenton of the U.S. Marines hears more bad news. It is August 1950, and his company has been fighting all night. More than half of his 190 men are wounded or killed. They are out of ammunition. He has lost radio contact with his superiors. And now, he is told, his first sergeant is mortally wounded.
Click. David Douglas Duncan takes Fenton’s picture. Duncan, a former marine, is on assignment for Life magazine. He gets as close to the action as possible, trying to show, he says, "what a man endures when his country decides to go to war." Duncan’s photographs are among the best known of the war, and a few, including that of Fenton, are ranked among the top American combat photographs ever.
U.S. Marines had been in Korea barely two weeks when the 27-year-old Fenton, who had fought in World War II, is plunged into a critical battle. In June, the North Korean Army crosses the 38th Parallel into South Korea. After the United Nations Security Council votes to authorize force to repel the surprise invasion, U.N., South Korean and U.S. troops establish a 150-mile-long defensive perimeter around Pusan, a port on the southeastern coast.
Fenton’s company is sent into a breach in the perimeter and ordered to "hold at all cost," lest the attacking North Koreans flank and rout the allies. "The only marines coming off that hill are dead marines," Fenton says to his commander. Using bayonets and grenades borrowed from another company nearby, Fenton’s men hold the line.
Reinforcements arrive, and the battlefront moves on to Inchon, to Seoul, to the "frozen Chosin"; Chinese troops join North Korea’s; the Communist forces eventually are pushed back; President Eisenhower signs an armistice treaty in 1953. Killed are at least 600,000 Chinese; 1.5 million North Korean and 1.2 million South Korean civilians and troops; 3,000 U.N. soldiers and 36,500 Americans. Another 8,100 Americans are missing in action. The veterans, returning to U.S. soil, do not receive a hero’s welcome and call Korea the "forgotten war."
Duncan’s Korea photographs capture the fighting, the mud, the snow, the bloodshed, but more than anything the emotions of the marines, down to their tears. Combat photojournalism, less constrained than in World War II, is not yet as freewheeling as it will become. Duncan avoids photographing the faces of the dead, but he does not shy away from grief and despair. Historians say his Life pictures awaken Americans to the gravity of the "police action" in Korea, causing many to question U.S. involvement there.
Duncan later covers the Vietnam War, and rails against it in a 1968 book, I Protest! But in seven decades as a photographer he delves into many other subjects and produces 23 books—so far. Born in Kansas City, he has lived in southern France for 40 years. He’s 87, and well remembers taking Ike Fenton’s picture. "A pretty bad day," he says.
After Pusan, Fenton sees more action in Korea and goes on to serve in Vietnam before retiring in 1970 as a much-decorated colonel. He settles in Peachtree City, Georgia, works as an executive for National Cash Register and vigorously promotes the cause of Georgia golf. He dies in 1998 at age 76, leaving two daughters, three sons, 12 grandchildren and a great-grandchild.
Subscribe now for more of Smithsonian's coverage on history, science and nature.









Comments (3)
if ike or his descendants are available, I would like to speak with them. For my own education.
Posted by Nathan Rodas on March 17,2009 | 04:02 AM
I WATCHED A MAN TAKING PICTURES AS WE WALKED DOWN TO HAMHUNG AND HUNGNAM WHILE ESCAPING FROM THE FROZEN CHOSIN. LITTLE DID I KNOW WHO HE WAS. MANY YEARS LATER I WAS FOUND BY SOME OF MY BUDDIES AND INFORMED OF HIS BOOK TITLED "THIS IS WAR" AND THAT MY PICTURE WAS IN IT. NEEDLESS TO SAY, I BOUGHT THE BOOK AND LOOKED AT EVERY PAGE MANY, MANY TIMES. OVER AND OVER AGAIN. DAVID DOUGLAS DUNCAN, IF IT WEREN'T FOR HIM A LOT OF HISTORY WOULD BE FORGOTTEN, ALMOST LIKE KOREA, THE FORGOTTEN WAR.
Posted by FRANK FINAMORE on February 28,2009 | 12:54 PM
DAVID DOUGLAS DUNCAN,the best. If he took a picture, it was close. If he wrote it, it happened. I met David on an outpost in Viet Nam, I think he was the corrispondent that stayed in my FDC bunker, (81 mortars )He insisted on being outside that bunker, taking pictures, during one of the most heaviest concentrated shellings of any combat position in the intire war,several days in Sept 1967.He told it like it was.Simper-Fi DAVID George W. Diguardi Msgt, Retired USMC 81 Mortar Plt Sgt 3/9 3RD MAR DIV 1966/67
Posted by GEORGE W. DIGUARDI on November 25,2008 | 08:06 AM