405 8th St
Saguache, CO 81149
Saguache County Museum Website »
Pronounced Sa-Watch,the Ute Indians who camped here before the white man came, called it Sa-gua-gua-chi-pa, which means "blue earth" or water at the blue earth". The first settlement of note was in 1866. Stories and mementos of the Indians, trappers, traders,early explorers and miners as well as pioneers are on exhibit in the Saguache County Museum. The museum occupies, in part, an adobe building constructed in 1872. This building has functioned over the years as a school, courthouse and a residence for jail keepers and their families. Adjacent to the museum is a 1908 jail.
A few exhibits of interest include a dump wagon (1920's) used in constructing Saguache County roads; a highchair (circa 1900) which converts into a stroller; a large mica disk used as a washer in Mora Mill, Capitol City; memorabilia of John Lawrence; an Indian papoose carrier; a German made defibrillator (circa 1908); Spanish playing cards; an American flag with 38 stars; a check machine from Parkville smelter (1895); a fire wagon and horse cart used circa 1910 by the Saguache Fire Department; an extensive minerals collection; a Reed Pipe Clariona purchased at the Chicago World's Fair, 1893.
Participation in Museum Day is open to any tax-exempt or governmental museum or cultural venue on a voluntary basis. Smithsonian magazine encourages museum visitation, but is not responsible for and does not endorse the content of the participating museums and cultural venues, and does not subsidize museums that participate.