374 Temple Hill Road
New Windsor, NY 12553
(845) 561-1765 x22
New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site Website »
New Windsor Cantonment was the log city built by the northern Continental Army in 1782-83 to shelter over 7,000 soldiers and 500 of their family members for the winter. Located 10 miles north of West Point, New York, the camp was where peace was announced on April 19, 1783.
Continental Army Musket and Cannon Firing Demonstration at 2:00 PM Saturday September 28. Following this demonstration at 3:00 PM there is a tour of nearby Knox's Headquarters, the beautiful stone 1754 Ellison House.
Participation in Museum Day is open to any tax-exempt or governmental museum or cultural venue on a voluntary basis. Smithsonian magazine encourages museum visitation, but is not responsible for and does not endorse the content of the participating museums and cultural venues, and does not subsidize museums that participate.