Confronted with signs reading “no actors, no dogs” on many Hollywood rentals, silent film stars like Joan Blondell and Stan Laurel moved to the 54-unit Hillview Apartments. The pink stucco complex was built in 1917 to provide actors with lodging near the movie studios. Not only did the U-shaped Mediterranean-style “Pink Lady” have a spacious parlor and central courtyard, there was even an automatic elevator. And though the basement was originally planned to be a rehearsal space, Rudolph Valentino turned it into a speakeasy during Prohibition. Falling out of favor as the Hollywood neighborhood deteriorated in the 1960s, the property was declared unsafe in the ’90s and became a squatters dwelling. After a fire in 2002, historic photos were used to restore the building to its original 1917 appearance, including recreating exterior arches and storefront windows. It reopened as luxury residences in 2005.