Today in History
December 22, 1864
A Gift for Mr. Lincoln
"I beg to present [to] you as a Christmas-gift the city of Savannah," Gen. William T. Sherman telegraphs to President Lincoln after capturing the coastal city to conclude his devastating 300-mile March to the Sea from Atlanta. The scorched earth campaign weakens the Confederacy and hastens the end of the Civil War.
Today's Feature History Article
Stubborn and deliberate, General George Henry Thomas was one of the Union's most brilliant strategists. So why was he cheated by history?
Most Popular History Articles
- The Early History of Football’s Forward Pass
- Native Intelligence
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- What Was on the Menu at the First Thanksgiving?
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- 10 Lucky Celebrities Who Escaped Disaster
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids