Today in History
December 18, 1271
The rein of Kublai Khan
After conquering much of current-day China and ordering the construction of a new capital where Beijing is now located, Kublai Khan, grandson of Genghis, founds the Yüan Dynasty. He adopts Chinese customs, seeks approval of the general populace and is successful in promoting economic growth and instituting political reforms. Despite health problems caused by overeating, Khan lives until 1294, when he dies at age 78.
Today's Feature History Article
China’s ancient 4,000-mile barrier, built to defend the country against invaders, is under renewed attack
Most Popular History Articles
- When an Army of Artists Fooled Hitler
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- The Rise and Fall and Rise of Zahi Hawass
- We Had No Idea What Alexander Graham Bell Sounded Like. Until Now
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The True Story of the Battle of Bunker Hill
- The Law that Ripped America in Two
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Unpack a Meal of Astronaut Space Food