Today in History
December 18, 1271
The rein of Kublai Khan
After conquering much of current-day China and ordering the construction of a new capital where Beijing is now located, Kublai Khan, grandson of Genghis, founds the Yüan Dynasty. He adopts Chinese customs, seeks approval of the general populace and is successful in promoting economic growth and instituting political reforms. Despite health problems caused by overeating, Khan lives until 1294, when he dies at age 78.
Today's Feature History Article
China’s ancient 4,000-mile barrier, built to defend the country against invaders, is under renewed attack
Most Popular History Articles
- Native Intelligence
- What Was on the Menu at the First Thanksgiving?
- The Early History of Football’s Forward Pass
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- 10 Lucky Celebrities Who Escaped Disaster
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?