Today in History
December 17, 1969
We Are Not Alone
The United States Air Force orders termination of its Project Blue Book, a series of studies of reports of unidentified flying objects (UFOs) begun after the first widely-publicized UFO sighting in 1947 leads to an explosion of public interest in visiting extraterrestrials. From 1952 until 1969, Project Blue Book collects reports of more than 12,000 sightings or otherworldly encounters and concludes that most are misindentifications or hoaxes, and although 701 incidents remain "unidentified," there is no reliable evidence of extraterrestrial visits.
Today's Feature History Article
Strange things happen at this wacky crossroads of the hopelessly alien-addled in the Nevada desert
Most Popular History Articles
- When an Army of Artists Fooled Hitler
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- We Had No Idea What Alexander Graham Bell Sounded Like. Until Now
- The True Story of the Battle of Bunker Hill
- The Rise and Fall and Rise of Zahi Hawass
- The Law that Ripped America in Two
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?