Today in History
December 15, 1973
A step out of the closet
Reversing a position held for nearly a century, the American Psychiatric Association declares that homosexuality is not a mental illness and removes it from its Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, where it had been listed as a "sexual deviation." The association's resolution proclaims that "Whereas homosexuality, per se implies no impairment in judgment, stability, reliability, or general social or vocational capabilities, therefore, be it resolved that the American Psychiatric Association deplores all public and private discrimination against homosexuals...." Twenty-five years later, the passage of California ballot proposition 8 fuels national debate over the rights of gays and lesbians to marry.
Today's Feature History Article
A new movie explores composer Cole Porter's consummate musical gifts and his remarkable, unorthodox marriage
Most Popular History Articles
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Myths of the American Revolution
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- We Had No Idea What Alexander Graham Bell Sounded Like. Until Now
- When an Army of Artists Fooled Hitler
- The True Story of the Battle of Bunker Hill
- 8 Famous People Who Missed the Lusitania
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?