Today in History
October 19, 1885
Merrill Lynch is Born
American investment banker Charles E. Merrill is born in Green Cove Springs, Florida. In 1915, he co-founds the brokerage firm, Merrill Lynch, which eventually becomes one of the largest in the United States. "The lesson that I had learned—when stocks are too high they come down—stood me in good stead in 1928-29" he says later. Merrill dies at the age of 70 in October 1958. In September 2008, Merrill Lynch is sold to Bank of America after losing more than $45 billion.
Today's Feature History Article
Software engineer Matt Flannery pioneers Internet microloans to the world's poor
Most Popular History Articles
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- Who Was Cleopatra?
- The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson
- 10 Lucky Celebrities Who Escaped Disaster