Today in History
October 15, 1860
Eleven-year-old Grace Bedell of Westfield, N.Y., writes a letter to presidential candidate Abraham Lincoln, suggesting that if he could "let[his] whiskers grow" he could improve his appearance. Lincoln responds to Bedell a few days later suggesting that whiskers are a "silly affectation," yet by his March 1861 inauguration, he had grown a full beard.
Today's Feature History Article
Four Political Conventions That Changed America
Most Popular History Articles
- Native Intelligence
- What Was on the Menu at the First Thanksgiving?
- The Early History of Football’s Forward Pass
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- 10 Lucky Celebrities Who Escaped Disaster
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?