Today in History
September 07, 1977
A Man, a Plan, A Canal: Panama!
President Jimmy Carter and Panamanian Chief of Government Omar Torrijos sign the Panama Canal Treaty, agreeing that the United States will cede control over the Panama Canal to Panama by the year 2000. The Panama Canal Commission (joint agency of the US and Panama) takes charge in 1979, and Panama finally gains complete control on December 31, 1999.
Today's Feature History Article
The Central American nation, now celebrating its centennial, has come into its own since the United States ceded control of its vital waterway
Most Popular History Articles
- When an Army of Artists Fooled Hitler
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- The Rise and Fall and Rise of Zahi Hawass
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- We Had No Idea What Alexander Graham Bell Sounded Like. Until Now
- The True Story of the Battle of Bunker Hill
- The Law that Ripped America in Two
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Unpack a Meal of Astronaut Space Food