Today in History
August 11, 1929
For the Record
New York Yankees slugger Babe Ruth hits his 30th home run of the season and 500th of his career during a game against the Cleveland Indians, becoming the first person in the history of Major League Baseball to reach the 500 home run milestone. Today, Ruth stands in third place on the all-time home run list with 714, behind Hank Aaron and Barry Bonds.
Today's Feature History Article
Out of the park: signed balls soar into the stratosphere
Most Popular History Articles
- When an Army of Artists Fooled Hitler
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- The Rise and Fall and Rise of Zahi Hawass
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- We Had No Idea What Alexander Graham Bell Sounded Like. Until Now
- The True Story of the Battle of Bunker Hill
- The Law that Ripped America in Two
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Unpack a Meal of Astronaut Space Food