Today in History
August 04, 1892
Did Lizzie Borden take an axe?
The axe-murdered bodies of Andrew and Abby Borden are discovered in their Fall River, Massachusetts home. Lizzie Borden, Andrew's 32 year-old live-in daughter, is later indicted for the crimes and despite incriminating circumstances—notably her strained relationships with her parents and inconsistent testimony—she is ultimately acquitted, although her guilt continues to spark debate. And, to correct a piece of popular mythology: Abby Borden received only eighteen whacks, Andrew, eleven.
Today's Feature History Article
From chewing rice to scanning brains, the perfect lie detector remains elusive
Most Popular History Articles
- When an Army of Artists Fooled Hitler
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- We Had No Idea What Alexander Graham Bell Sounded Like. Until Now
- The True Story of the Battle of Bunker Hill
- The Law that Ripped America in Two
- 8 Famous People Who Missed the Lusitania
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Myths of the American Revolution