Today in History
July 08, 1898
Soapy Gets His
Frontier gangster and "uncrowned king" of the gold rush town of Skagway, Alaska, Jefferson Randolph Smith, Jr., alias Soapy, is shot and killed in a shootout with vigilante Frank Reid, part of a group determined to break Soapy's criminal hold on the town. But did Reid fire the fatal shot? Arguments persist, but folks in Skagway still drink a toast to Soapy at the annual Soapy Smith Wake.
Today's Feature History Article
Excavations in a legendary gold rush town uncover the unsung labors of Chinese immigrants on the frontier
Most Popular History Articles
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- Who Was Cleopatra?
- The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson
- 10 Lucky Celebrities Who Escaped Disaster