Today in History
July 05, 1810
P.T. Barnum Born
Phineas Taylor Barnum is born in Bethel, Connecticut. He gets his start in show business in 1835, when he opens a traveling show with a woman who claimed to be 161 years old and the former nurse of George Washington. Barnum's promotion brings Tom Thumb, Jenny Lind and Jumbo the elephant to American audiences. In his 60s he starts the circus he calls "The Greatest Show on Earth." He dies in 1891 at age 80.
Today's Feature History Article
The much-maligned theory of phrenology gets a tip of the hat from modern neuroscience
Recent History Videos
Most Popular History Articles
- Myths of the American Revolution
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- We Had No Idea What Alexander Graham Bell Sounded Like. Until Now
- The True Story of the Battle of Bunker Hill
- 8 Famous People Who Missed the Lusitania
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- The History of the Short-Lived Independent Republic of Florida
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?