Today in History
July 02, 1937
Famed female pilot Amelia Earhart disappears over the Pacific Ocean in an attempt at an around-the-world flight. Earhart was bound for tiny Howland Island in the South Pacific. In her last radio transmission she says "fuel is running low, been unable to reach you by radio. We are flying at 1,000 feet." Two weeks of extensive air and sea searches over 250,000 square miles were unable to locate any sign of Earhart.
Today's Feature History Article
Amelia Earhart brought her own special style—even to her outerwear
Recent History Videos
Most Popular History Articles
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Myths of the American Revolution
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The History of the Short-Lived Independent Republic of Florida
- The True Story of the Battle of Bunker Hill
- 8 Famous People Who Missed the Lusitania
- We Had No Idea What Alexander Graham Bell Sounded Like. Until Now
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?