Today in History
May 27, 1941
Hitler’s pride takes a hit
The German battleship Bismarck, having sunk the British battlecruiser HMS Hood, is hotly pursued for days by the Royal Navy. Torpedoed from the air and bombarded by British destroyers, it sinks, May 27, 1941. The wreck of the Bismarck is discovered by Robert Ballard in 1989.
Today's Feature History Article
We asked readers to tell us where they were and how they reacted to the news that World War II had ended. And what a response we got!
Most Popular History Articles
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- Native Intelligence
- Who Was Cleopatra?
- The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson