Today in History
May 18, 1980
Thar She Blows!
At 8:32 a.m an earthquake causes the entire north side of Mount St. Helens in Washington State to fall away exposing the volcano to lower pressure. Mount St Helens reacts with devastating effect, exploding into a mixture of pulverized lava and rock. Volcanic ash blasts high into the atmosphere showering eleven states with ash. Fifty-seven people and thousands of animals are killed and 200 homes are destroyed.
Today's Feature History Article
A trip to Mount Erebus yields a rare, close-up look at one of the world's weirdest geological marvels
Most Popular History Articles
- Native Intelligence
- What Was on the Menu at the First Thanksgiving?
- The Early History of Football’s Forward Pass
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- 10 Lucky Celebrities Who Escaped Disaster
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?