Today in History
May 15, 1886
On May 15, 1886 Emily Dickinson dies at the age of 55. Dickinson's chief physician gives the cause of death as Bright's disease, which she had suffered from for the last two and a half years of her life. Of the reclusive poet's 1,800 poems, those focusing on the themes of life and death are unusual for their period. They contain short lines, half rhyme and irregular capitalization and punctuation.
Today's Feature History Article
Spoken-word artist Mayda del Valle brings to life "democracy writ large in poetry"
Most Popular History Articles
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Who Was Cleopatra?
- The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- 10 Lucky Celebrities Who Escaped Disaster