Today in History
May 07, 1915
Under the Sea
A German U-20 submarine torpedoes British liner Lusitania off the coast of Ireland. The ship sinks in 18 minutes, claiming 1,201 of 1,962 passengers. Britain hopes the disaster will encourage the United States to enter World War I as its ally.
Today's Feature History Article
In a new book on the 1915 sinking of the ocean liner Lusitania, historian Diana Preston presents fresh findings about the atrocity and draws on recently discovered interviews with survivors to bring the terrible human drama to life
Most Popular History Articles
- The Early History of Football’s Forward Pass
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- Native Intelligence
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- What Was on the Menu at the First Thanksgiving?
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- 10 Lucky Celebrities Who Escaped Disaster