Today in History
May 07, 1915
Under the Sea
A German U-20 submarine torpedoes British liner Lusitania off the coast of Ireland. The ship sinks in 18 minutes, claiming 1,201 of 1,962 passengers. Britain hopes the disaster will encourage the United States to enter World War I as its ally.
Today's Feature History Article
In a new book on the 1915 sinking of the ocean liner Lusitania, historian Diana Preston presents fresh findings about the atrocity and draws on recently discovered interviews with survivors to bring the terrible human drama to life
Most Popular History Articles
- When an Army of Artists Fooled Hitler
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- The Rise and Fall and Rise of Zahi Hawass
- We Had No Idea What Alexander Graham Bell Sounded Like. Until Now
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The True Story of the Battle of Bunker Hill
- The Law that Ripped America in Two
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Unpack a Meal of Astronaut Space Food