Today in History
March 29, 1943
Americans Begin Rationing Meat
Americans are asked to ration meat as supplies dwindle during World War II. Consumers are already rationing sugar, coffee and canned goods. Everyone is awarded the same number of points and in theory can buy no more than their fair share. Still, a black market develops in some groceries where consumers pay higher prices for "under the counter" food.
Today's Feature History Article
By Alistair Cooke, Atlantic Monthly Press, $24.00
Recent History Videos
Most Popular History Articles
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Myths of the American Revolution
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The History of the Short-Lived Independent Republic of Florida
- The True Story of the Battle of Bunker Hill
- 8 Famous People Who Missed the Lusitania
- We Had No Idea What Alexander Graham Bell Sounded Like. Until Now
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?