Today in History
March 29, 1943
Americans Begin Rationing Meat
Americans are asked to ration meat as supplies dwindle during World War II. Consumers are already rationing sugar, coffee and canned goods. Everyone is awarded the same number of points and in theory can buy no more than their fair share. Still, a black market develops in some groceries where consumers pay higher prices for "under the counter" food.
Today's Feature History Article
By Alistair Cooke, Atlantic Monthly Press, $24.00
Most Popular History Articles
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- Who Was Cleopatra?
- 10 Lucky Celebrities Who Escaped Disaster
- The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson