Today in History
March 21, 1871
Journalist and explorer Henry M. Stanley sets out on his famous expedition to Africa to find missing explorer and missionary David Livingstone. On November 10, 1871, Stanley does find Livingstone, and supposedly utters a greeting that has become a legend: "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?"
Today's Feature History Article
The American journalist's harrowing 1871 quest to find England's most celebrated explorer is also a story of newfound fascination with Africa, the growing power of newspapers and the United States' emergence as a world power
Most Popular History Articles
- When an Army of Artists Fooled Hitler
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- The Rise and Fall and Rise of Zahi Hawass
- We Had No Idea What Alexander Graham Bell Sounded Like. Until Now
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The True Story of the Battle of Bunker Hill
- The Law that Ripped America in Two
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Unpack a Meal of Astronaut Space Food