Today in History
March 21, 1871
Journalist and explorer Henry M. Stanley sets out on his famous expedition to Africa to find missing explorer and missionary David Livingstone. On November 10, 1871, Stanley does find Livingstone, and supposedly utters a greeting that has become a legend: "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?"
Today's Feature History Article
The American journalist's harrowing 1871 quest to find England's most celebrated explorer is also a story of newfound fascination with Africa, the growing power of newspapers and the United States' emergence as a world power
Most Popular History Articles
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- Native Intelligence
- Who Was Cleopatra?
- 10 Lucky Celebrities Who Escaped Disaster