Today in History
March 16, 1985
While living in Beirut as the Associated Press's chief Mideast correspondent, Terry Anderson is kidnapped by members of Hezbollah, a militant Shiite Islamic group. He is held captive for the next six years and nine months, until December 4, 1991. He recounted his ordeal as a hostage in his bestselling book, Den of Lions.
Today's Feature History Article
Following a humbling retreat from Lebanon and increasingly at odds with the U.S., the proud Arab nation finds itself at a critical juncture
Most Popular History Articles
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Native Intelligence
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Who Was Cleopatra?
- The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson