Today in History
March 09, 1954
Murrow vs. McCarthy
An exposé compiled by radio and television broadcaster Edward Murrow containing unflattering clips of Joseph McCarthy making contradictory statements airs on CBS. The network gives the Wisconsin junior senator, who launched a chaotic investigation into possible Communist infiltration in the U.S., a half-hour of prime time for rebuttal, but he goes down in flames.
Today's Feature History Article
"Your Show of Shows," starring Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca, pioneered madcap TV humor in the 1950s.
Most Popular History Articles
- The Man Who Wrote the Pledge of Allegiance
- The Rise and Fall and Rise of Zahi Hawass
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- How Arlington National Cemetery Came to Be
- The CIA Burglar Who Went Rogue
- Unpack a Meal of Astronaut Space Food
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- Resurrecting Pompeii