Today in History
March 02, 1836
Texas Declares Independence
The Texas Declaration of Independence is signed, and the republic becomes independent from Mexico. Though some favor immediate annexation by the United States, this does not occur until 1845. The Republic of Texas lasts 9 years, 11 months, and 17 days.
Today's Feature History Article
Move over, John Wayne. John Lee Hancock's epic re-creation of the 1836 battle between Mexican forces and Texas insurgents casts the mythic massacre in a more historically accurate light
Most Popular History Articles
- The Man Who Wrote the Pledge of Allegiance
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- The Rise and Fall and Rise of Zahi Hawass
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- How Arlington National Cemetery Came to Be
- The CIA Burglar Who Went Rogue
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- Unpack a Meal of Astronaut Space Food
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- Resurrecting Pompeii