Today in History
March 02, 1836
Texas Declares Independence
The Texas Declaration of Independence is signed, and the republic becomes independent from Mexico. Though some favor immediate annexation by the United States, this does not occur until 1845. The Republic of Texas lasts 9 years, 11 months, and 17 days.
Today's Feature History Article
Move over, John Wayne. John Lee Hancock's epic re-creation of the 1836 battle between Mexican forces and Texas insurgents casts the mythic massacre in a more historically accurate light
Most Popular History Articles
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Native Intelligence
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Who Was Cleopatra?
- The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson