Today in History
February 22, 1879
Five Finger Discount
Frank Winfield Woolworth is an American merchant who is one of the first to develop the method of fixing prices on his merchandise, rather than having his customers haggle. His first store failed in the first few weeks of its opening, but his second store, selling items for ten-cents was a much bigger success.
Today's Feature History Article
Attention shoppers: just what you need one more seasonal ornament
Most Popular History Articles
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Who Was Cleopatra?
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- Meet the Real-Life Vampires of New England and Abroad
- The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson