Today in History
February 22, 1879
Five Finger Discount
Frank Winfield Woolworth is an American merchant who is one of the first to develop the method of fixing prices on his merchandise, rather than having his customers haggle. His first store failed in the first few weeks of its opening, but his second store, selling items for ten-cents was a much bigger success.
Today's Feature History Article
Attention shoppers: just what you need one more seasonal ornament
Recent History Videos
Most Popular History Articles
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Myths of the American Revolution
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- We Had No Idea What Alexander Graham Bell Sounded Like. Until Now
- The True Story of the Battle of Bunker Hill
- 8 Famous People Who Missed the Lusitania
- The History of the Short-Lived Independent Republic of Florida
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?