Today in History
February 22, 1879
Five Finger Discount
Frank Winfield Woolworth is an American merchant who is one of the first to develop the method of fixing prices on his merchandise, rather than having his customers haggle. His first store failed in the first few weeks of its opening, but his second store, selling items for ten-cents was a much bigger success.
Today's Feature History Article
Attention shoppers: just what you need one more seasonal ornament
Most Popular History Articles
- Native Intelligence
- The Early History of Football’s Forward Pass
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- What Was on the Menu at the First Thanksgiving?
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- 10 Lucky Celebrities Who Escaped Disaster
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?