Today in History
February 20, 1998
At the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan, the competition was on between veteran Olympian Michelle Kwan and 15-year-old newcomer Tara Lipinski. Lipinski and Kwan both deliver flawless performances, but Lipinski's program is more technically difficult. This wins her the gold medal, the silver medal going to Kwan.
Today's Feature History Article
Spectators braved all manner of discomfort—from oppressive heat to incessant badgering by vendors—to witness ancient Greece's ultimate pagan festival
Most Popular History Articles
- The Man Who Wrote the Pledge of Allegiance
- The Rise and Fall and Rise of Zahi Hawass
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- How Arlington National Cemetery Came to Be
- The CIA Burglar Who Went Rogue
- Unpack a Meal of Astronaut Space Food
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- Resurrecting Pompeii