Today in History
January 31, 1876
In response to miners' pressure to pan for gold in the Sioux and Cheyenne hunting grounds in the Black Hills of Dakota, Ulysses S. Grant orders all Native Americans to move onto reservations or be considered hostile. During the following months, U.S. troops attacked resisters, resulting in a battle now known as "Custer's Last Stand."
Most Popular History Articles
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- The Mystery of Bosnia's Ancient Pyramids
- Who Was Cleopatra?
- The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson
- 10 Lucky Celebrities Who Escaped Disaster