Today in History
January 29, 1861
An Expanding Nation
After several years of bitter fighting and bloodshed between pro-and anti-slavery advocates, the beleaguered territory of Kansas enters the Union. During the American Civil War, two-thirds of men from the new state would enlist in the Union Army. Kansas would suffer the most casualties, in proportion to its population, of any state in the Union.
Recent History Videos
Most Popular History Articles
- For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of WWII
- Myths of the American Revolution
- A Brief History of the Salem Witch Trials
- We Had No Idea What Alexander Graham Bell Sounded Like. Until Now
- The True Story of the Battle of Bunker Hill
- 8 Famous People Who Missed the Lusitania
- The History of the Short-Lived Independent Republic of Florida
- Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
- Who Was Mary Magdalene?